Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Four weeks and counting!

Stressed. That's me. Since Mike has already gone to bed and is too tired to listen to me rant (worked a ten hour shift today starting at 6am, then handbells, church, and choir, baths, two sick kiddos, and has to be at work at 6am again tomorrow!!) I decided to rant to my friends in cyberspace via the blog. Sorry I haven't posted recently. Our laptop computer broke, and I rarely get time to sit at the desktop in our bedroom because there are two little ones who love to empty out the contents of my jewelry box if I devote any moment of my attention to the computer.....

I will be finished with 36 weeks' worth of gestating come Saturday. That means there's four weeks til my due date. Also means I have four weeks (or less!) to get my act together before another baby comes. Oh my. I realized today how much work we have ahead of us.

When Julia was born, we had the nursery all painted, clothes neatly folded in the drawers, boxes and boxes of diapers and wipes ready, blankets neatly folded under the freshly painted changing table, and a big box of brand new infant supplies from all of the baby showers I had.

When Mary was born, it was more of the same: neat piles of baby stuff, all ready to go, as good as done. Only thing different was there was less new stuff and I didn't bother buying newborn diapers. And we even booked a grandma to be at our house starting three days before my due date to watch Julia, just in case.

We have none of that ready for poor baby "Ed." (Reminder: Ed's gender is unknown. The girls call my belly "Ed," and the name has stuck. We pity poor Ed when she comes out a girl!) ANYWAYS, we have very little ready for baby Ed's arrival. Jenny's parents gave us a dresser, which is still sitting dusty in the basement, and we still have to buy the contact paper to go in the drawers. I have no idea where the baby clothes even are (in a tupperware somewhere, I assume...) and I haven't even BOUGHT DIAPERS yet! If Ed were to drop by unannounced tomorrow, we would be up a creek without a paddle. I would have to send Husband to Target with a list and a credit card whilst I birthed our baby. And I guess Julia and Mary would have to go with him, since we haven't made a plan for their care during the delivery, either. Better to have them destroy a toy display at Tar-jhay than witness the "miracle of birth." I should really call our babysitter.

To add more complication to the situation, we have a LOT of things up in the air right now: Match day is when I find out about if and where I will be resuming residency come this summer. That will dictate where we move to come end of May/early June. That also means we have to sell our house, which also should get done soon...but I guess it will have to wait until after "Ed" is born, given that we don't even know IF we're moving until Match day rolls around...which is March 18th. Reminder: Ed is DUE on the 26th, but I will probably get induced earlier given that "Ed" is off the charts in size (was 20 inches long at my 30 week ultrasound...which is quite large.) So, if I get induced, I'll probably be in labor on Match Day. Oh the glory! I'll have to get our laptop fixed soon so I can log onto the internet and find out where we'll be spending the next few years...between pushes, of course.

To make things even more exciting/crazy/ohmygoodLord, we don't know the sex of the baby, we don't know when the heck we're going to be able to have the baptism (Annie, our chosen Godmother, can't get any days off), and we have no idea how we are going to pack and move the contents of our entire house to some undisclosed location hundreds of miles away while taking care of an almost 4-year-old, an almost 2-year-old, and a brand new infant!

I think I might need prozac. Or speed. Or meth...or something. Caffeine can only take this woman so far. Perhaps I should invest in an espresso machine. I doubt I"ll be able to leave the house to hit Starbuck's or Caribou after Ed makes his or her gender and personality known to the world. I'd better start sleeping now. Gotta store it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:P Sarah, I wish I were there to help you out!! One thing at a time - and a call to Mom.

Megan

Lindsay said...

Oh Sarah, It will al work out i'm sure. just remember we could be finding out what are babies are on the same day! i promise it will be ok God always has a plan. and i am positive there are 2 grandmothers anxiously waiting to help and meet ED