Monday, February 11, 2008

From On call to On vacation!!!

There is a God!!!

Not that I Didn't believe before, but being "down here" has reaffirmed my belief that God must love us a lot....he created this neat little place called Grand Cayman Island.

Last week, I delivered nineteen babies. In two days. Those call nights were the worst I've ever had. I love delivering babies, but doing anything besides sleeping for twenty four or thirty hours straight does get a little trying. I was deliriously delivering......push.....push....push....deliver head.....avoid shoulder distocia.....catch....don't drop, they're slippery......suction out the nose and mouth.....cut cord.....give baby to parent(s). I was so tired by Friday afternoon that I couldn't figure out where the car was and I forgot to EAT. (Those of you who know me well know that that is a very pathologic sign.)

My week of babies was followed by....the first half of a fifty hour trivia marathon. Yes, instead of sleeping and recovering, I decided to partake in Trivia Weekend, a hallowed tradition of Mike and mine since High School. Again, sleep was at a premium. Although this time I could nod off now and then and nobody would sue..... ;)

THEN, on Saturday night, at 4AM, Mom, Annie, and I got up and drove to the airport, boarded a plane or two, and ended up in paradise aka the Cayman Islands. I am not kidding....we went from fifteen below to eighty five above. That's exactly a hundred degrees. Since then, I have been sleeping, laying around enjoying the ocean breeze, eating popsicles, and Snorkeling. I saw a baracuda who was considering taking a bite out of Annie. He was about seven feet long. Annie was screaming. More about that tomorrow. We are going snorkeling again, this time with Mom. Perhaps I will have some good stories for you. On the other hand, I may be a tasty treat for that baracuda. I am an easy target, being like a pregnant barge wallowing around the coral reef. I would probably taste pretty good, too.

I am still in shock that I have somehow gone from working my little behind off and living in a hospital, longing to be outside.....to an island paradise. Right now, my chief concern is which flavor of ice cream I should eat before I go to bed....

There is a God.

PS: In case you were wondering, Mike and Julia are still at home in Frigid Duluth. (Mike couldnt' get a week off from rotations....) I think I will have to bottle up some of this sunshine and bring it home. or at least put them on vitamin D supplements for awhile......

1 comment:

Mark, Allison, Eliya, Gabriel, Rachel & Micaiah said...

Wow - can I come too?!?! Sounds awesome, and I'm glad you got some sleep :0) Take an extra nap for me! P.S. our blog name isn't changing...more on that later :0)