Monday, August 11, 2008

The LIC quilt auction

Last weekend was the Lutheran Island Camp quilt auction. Every year, we drive up to the camp that Mike and I both love and enjoy a day of "reunioning" of sorts. We have also made it our tradition to bring a quilt along every year and watch it hit the auction block. In past years, believe it or not, we have been able to squeeze a little time out of our schedules to make a quilt.
This year, with the new baby around, we thought it was pretty much impossible....

...but then My Husband kept moping around from time to time, whining that he was depressed because we hadn't made a quilt for the auction. So, after one too many mopes, I told him, "stop moping around and make a quilt already. We can do it...let's just pull an all-nighter like we used to do in college."

So, it was off to WalMart to buy fabric. We started the project at about 9pm and worked pretty much all night on the thing....I designed it and ironed like a fiend, Mike sewed and sewed. We recruited our friend Jessi to cut out what seemed like millions of squares. By four AM, we had the front all done . I made a trip back to Wally World the next day to buy some binding (that's the shiny stuff that goes around the edge, I learned....)

We felt great when we went to bed that night....but unfortunately, had a rude awakening a couple of hours later. You see, Miss Julia had been sleeping since 8pm the night before and was bright eyed and bushy tailed at 730. I had forgotten one important detail: we didn't have an infant and a toddler when we were in college. Oh well, it was worth it. Our quilt brought in $160!

Miriam (Bocca) and Ben (FunGuy) posed for a picture. It's so great to see friends....I wish I had a picture of Josiah to show you....he is darling!

3 comments:

Dave, Miriam, Josiah, Aria, and Thaddeus said...

It was great seeing you all at the quilt auction. Your quilt turned out beautifully!! What am I doing in that picture?!? Haha. Good times at LIC, as always! Now next year, you need to come to family week!!!

Mark, Allison, Eliya, Gabriel, Rachel & Micaiah said...

That quilt is adorable! I'm very impressed! :0)

Anonymous said...

I hope it is okay to post a comment on an older blog. You guys amaze me! You MADE a QUILT as awesome as that and then gave it to charity! What saints!!! You put me to shame. By the way, Len and I had a fabulous dinner at Timberlake Lodge thanks to you. In fact, we ordered "Minnesota cakes" for an appetizer, and they contained walleye. But the weird part was they had a boiled crayfish on top! Yikes! Even Buddy wouldn't eat it. Also, we are still enjoying the way Julia kept saying "I do" instead of "yes." For example, Julia, do you want a sandwich? "I do." Do you want milk with your sandwich? "I do." Do you want to eat at the counter on a stool? "I do." It's so cute! Trice