Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Some days are like that, even in Austrailia.

I don't know what's going on lately...everything seems to be falling apart. Do you ever get a day/week/month like that where everything around you that has been working just fine and doing just fine for a long long time suddenly decompensates into a state of chaos?

....

Well, things had been going pretty well around here until a few weeks ago when we learned that a couple of family members were sick. Then, the stock market crashed and everybody is up in arms (I haven't checked any financial stuff of ours...the envelopes are in a big pile somewhere...), Then, it was the transmission on the car. Then, the toilet upstairs was running nonstop and when I went to check on it, I flipped the light switch and a spark flew out at me. While I was examining the light switch, Julia proceeded to drop a ring of mine down the drain in the bathroom and then got her fingers stuck in the drain hole trying to retrieve it. By then, the toilet (which she had flushed) was overflowing and the water on the bathroom floor caused her to slip while she was hanging over the sink and she came crashing down to the floor.

After a long day at the hospital, I came home last night and went to bed. Julia was asleep, Mike was feeding Mary. I fell asleep right away. I knew it was too good to be true. About an hour later at 1230 AM, Mike came bursting into the bedroom in a fit of bloody mayhem. Both of his hands covered in blood. "Oh crap!" I thought. "The ER doc at St. LUke's tonight is rotten. I will have to take him to a different hospital." Then, I woke up a little more and remember that I should probably take a look at his injuries....and maybe even ask him what happened in the middle of the night that put a bloody hole in his thumb and forefingers.

As it turned out, Psymuhn, our previously-innocent puppy-dog, had decided to take a little vacation. Mike wanted to go to sleep, so he went out to put the dog in the house. Psymuhn was nowhere to be found. Mike went out in a gray hooded sweatshirt to look for him. When he returned to the house, he found Psymuhn sitting on the back steps waiting to get in the house. I don't think Psymuhn recognized my husband.....our usually benign doggie growled at Mike. Mike decided to ignore the growling and put the dog back into the house. When he opened the door to go inside, our no-longer-innocent pup sunk his incisiors into my hubby's hands. I think Psymuhn thought Mike was an intruder trying to break into the back door of our house. Psymuhn felt terrible about the whole ordeal. He looked pretty embarassed and ashamed when I saw him. Mike has a few small puncture wounds on his hands and he is seeing my partner at the clinic right now. Perhaps there will be antibiotics in his future.

One more thing, Mike tells me that when he picked Julia up from daycare today, she gave him a big hug. I was all warm and fuzzy about this until he finished the story: Julia then proceeded to take a BITE out of Mike's right thigh. Chomp. Just what papa needed.

Today, I sympathize with Alexander, the main character in one of my favorite books, "Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." Through the whole book, he keeps threatening to move to Austrailia because his day is so terrifically bad. He gets the ugly shoes. The cat hates him. He has a cavity at the dentist. He has to wear his least favorite railroad train pajamas. His mom makes him eat his veggies and his brothers steal the sting ray car kit out of the box of cereal. The last page of the book offers some sage wisdom. When he's gonig to bed, his mom tells him, "Son, some days are like this......Even In Austrailia!"

2 comments:

Mark, Allison, Eliya, Gabriel, Rachel & Micaiah said...

Oh CRAP!!!! (okay honestly it was hilarious and yet not all at the same time!) And yes I can testify to the fact that even days in Australia can suck - although at least there is an ocean right there to cry your eyes out into.
P.S. Mark's got an interview tomorrow night....

Anonymous said...

Wished we lived closer so we could help out as your hurting husband heals.

We miss you very much. I hope the rest of the month is not so crazy.