Thursday, November 20, 2008

The older child is starting to become creative. Very creative. I'm almost afraid to see what sort of things she'll come up with when it comes to be time for free-writing class. Here are a couple of interesting examples, heard just today, as a matter of fact.

1. Getting Julia to use the potty is always a chore. I have to use all my parenting wiles sometimes to have her sit on the thing for more than ten seconds at a time. Which leads me to this evening's little exchange.
Me: Okay, before you get in the tub we have to try using the potty.
Julia: No! I can't!
Me: You mean "I won't." You can, you just won't. Just try, okay?
(I sit her up on her little seat and hold her there so she doesn't jump off. Turn up the bath water so that hopefully the sound will make her pee.)
Julia: I can't go!
Me: Just hold on. Try. Here, drink this nice, cold water.
Julia: I don't want it. It's not nice, it has hyenas in it!

Yes, that's right everyone, Duluth's water is fortified with nutritious hyena juice. Yum.

2. Sarah was quizzing Julia about one of our family friends. Sometimes J can be very opinionated about people and acts out to keep from seeing them.
Sarah: So, what about it? Do you like her, Julia?
Julia: No, I don't like her.
Sarah: Why? Is she mean to you?
Julia: I think she is.
Sarah: What does she do that is mean?
Julia: Every day, she gets a spider, and she puts it on my face.
Sarah: (trying very hard not to laugh and failing miserably) That is mean!

There are probably other examples but I forget. I'll have to start making a list and put them into a book for her. Maybe she can draw on it for excuses as to why she doesn't have her homework done someday. (My homework has hyenas in it!)

No comments: