Thursday, December 18, 2008

...it smells like Papa in here....

I need to start writing down all of the funny things that Julia says in a day. That girl is sharp as a tack. Most of the things she notices I never would. Like this morning, when I had her at the hospital with me for a few minutes....we walked into the call room, and she says,
"It smells like Papa in here."
"Julia, why do you say that?"
"Because it stinks in here and he's a boy."

O...kay... I guess I can't blame her for her astute sense of smell. Sorry, Mike. Instead of telling you this, you are probably reading it on the web.

Another one:
I asked her what she wanted from Santa this year. Her response?
"I want Marge."
"Marge?"
"She gives me french fries."
(Marge is the cafeteria lady at St. Luke's hospital. I will have to share this one with her.)
I guess Santa is going to have to figure out how to fit Marge the cafeteria lady into his red sack on Christmas Eve. Why can't Julia just ask for a dolly or a train set?
Tonight when Mike was singing Julia her bedtime song, I walked by the bedroom door and heard a familiar tune. I couldn't place it: was it a hymn? no.... Some Christmas song??? No..... Some classical tune off of public radio? no..... I knew I had heard it before, so I strained my ears to figure it out. All of a sudden, I had flashbacks to seventh grade ballroom dancing: My husband was singing "Moon River" to our kids for a bedtime song. Whoa. What ever happened to a good old fashioned lullaby? Oh well, at least he was willing to put the kids to bed after I had them alone all evening....
Why is it that the toddler ALWAYS knows what items are most important to you? Case in point: my chapstick. Julia likes to hunt for chapstick. Before she was mobile, I swear we had twenty sticks of the stuff. - one in every room, a few in storage for later, one in every coat pocket, etc. Well, Julia thinks it's just delicious. Doesn't matter if it's menthol or sparkly or *expensive Bath and Body works chapstick that was a gift to mommy from a patient*

....!

I will let you guess which tube The Toddler decided to eat today. Above, you can see that Julia found my favorite chapstick in my jewelry box and, while I was at work, schmeared it all over her face. She did tell her papa that it was delicious.

4 comments:

Mark, Allison, Eliya, Gabriel, Rachel & Micaiah said...

My kids were chapstick freaks too! What the heck is so delicious about it?! Eliya has finally outgrown the eating stage, but we have the other two just loving the stuff - put it high - very high! (and yes then watch as your toddler finds new ways to climb!)

Claudia said...

I get the unusual songs for lullabyes. My kids get cowboy ballads. One of which has a last verse that starts, "When I die..."

Anonymous said...

Nice to see we are not the only ones chapstick deprived, Zack can't leave the stuff alone either. We have started to hide it, only then we never remember where it is either.

Give us a call and let us know when you are coming to St Cloud - we have crazy all over the state plans from Thurs - Sun, however Zack shopped for his "girls" so I am hoping the two of us will be able to pop in and visit for a few while Jason is working on Wed.

Michael, Aimee, Micah and Taryn said...

Micah is a chapstickaholic! We hide them, too, but she still finds them! Now she has discovered lip gloss which I didn't even know I owned! She put it on and said, "I so bootifowl and sparkly!"