Thursday, October 21, 2010

Coconut cake!!

There are so many things I have learned since becoming a stay-at-home dad in June. One of the hardest lessons for me has been that, no matter how much I want to or no matter how hard I try, I am not going to be a perfect homemaker. There are a few things that I am just not going to be able to master. Cleaning I can do, and do well. But grocery shopping? No intuition whatsoever. I am a fair hand at parenting. Cooking, however, is something that is better left in more capable hands (AKA Sarah, who is the most amazing cook in the world; she can make a three-course meal with a toothpick and some ketchup).
Time and work constraints being what they are, my family is unfortunately subjected quite often to my (lack of) cooking skills. Once in a great while I will hit the nail on the head and pull off a tasty dessert or breakfast...like yesterday. When I found the most amazing cake recipe EVER. Coincidentally one of Sarah's friends from residency came for dinner so it was an opportune time for me to test it out.
Needless to say I had three small "helpers" for the execution of this endeavor. Photos of the project are below, and a link to the recipe is here. Try it - it's incredible.

The lovely Miss Mary...


...Luke, squealer extraordinaire...


...and Julia, the comic relief.





Mmmmm...buttermilk!


Taking a break from the action to play "house" under the hall bench.


One of the most important side effects of making a coconut cake, besides the 35,000 calories, is having some extra delicious toasted coconut to snack on later.


Of course, no cake is complete without beaters to lick off afterward!


And P.S.: I would have posted a photo of the finished product, but, uh, we ate it already.

4 comments:

Mrs. Curtiss said...

The best, the best, the best blog ever because your kids are SO GOOD TO SEE!
Interesting cake, too.

Anonymous said...

Everyones grown since I last saw the kids. looking good! And as for the cake you have my address!!
Great Aunt Mary XXO

Anonymous said...

That pan of toasted coconut looks amazing.

-Chris

Michael said...

That pan of toasted coconut pretty much WAS amazing.