Saturday, February 28, 2009

snot

disclaimer: if you have a weak stomach and don't like hearing about mucous, then stop now. I warned you. I took plenty of cold medicine today...

...our clan is sick.

About a week ago, all was going well until Julia came home from daycare with a runny nose. We have her in daycare just three hours, two mornings a week...just enought to innoculate her mucous membranes with the latest evil virus. She then promptly waltzes home and sneezes all over her baby sister. Mary's naive immune system lets the virus go hog-wild in her sinuses, and within 24 hours, we have two ornery, congested, snotty girls on our hands.

By then, it's only a matter of time. I usually give myself 72 hours before I too become a snotty mess. I never get sick from work. I wash my hands at least thirty times a day and I'm very careful about taking precautions around patients. When home, however, there's no avoiding it. All it takes is Mommy grabbing a half-eaten chicken nugget off of Julia's plate and popping it down the hatch. As I chew it, I remember that it probably has snot on it. Oh crap.

If I can avoid the Nuggets, I'm still not in the clear. Mary loves to snuggle, and who am I not to want to hold her? Then, she does her next favorite thing: suck on her fingers, and then stuff her whole hand into your unsuspecting mouth. Before you know it, her saliva is your saliva...and the rest is history. LIke I said....like the sands of time....72 hours is what I get before I get to ride out the same viral crap. I have learned to pay attention to the course of the illness as it goes thorugh our kids. Some viruses come on suddenly and your nose gushes like a hose. Then, a day or two later, it's gone as quick as it came...and all is well again. This particular one hit our kids with progressive congestion over a day, then invaded their little lungs with the same snotty goo. They are both coughing snot and spurting snot out of their noses. Mary grinds it into the left shoulder region of all of my clean work clothes. Julia wipes her snot into her left sleeve...and by the end of the day, there's quite a collection of slippery goo on her clothes as you try and slip them off without getting the goo in her hair.

Like I said before, there's no way to avoid it. When your children fall ill, you are next. Maybe next time I should just put the snot on a piece of toast instead of waiting for the inevitable.

Here's to Kleenex, Sudafed, and Hot Tahti's...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! Great story, great laugh! Len missed out, though. As soon as he heard the title and you "spoiler" warning, he refused to let me read it to him.

I LOVE the last line about toast. Seriously, though, I know so many people who have gotten pneumonia from that nasty virus. Len's bro. hasn't been to work for 2 weeks (he's an electrician & has to work outside.)

I will pray for your swift return to health. It's tough when these little ones don't sleep well.
Bye, love, Trice

Anonymous said...

Oh guy’s I am so sorry you’re all.. sniff..cough cough, sick. You brought me back in time when Matt and Chris shared viruses. A sheet covered couch, bunches of pillows propping up a normally Eveready battery bunny child now wet noodle limp with red checks and glassy eyes. The quilt that covered them held the used tissues that missed the grocery bag on the floor next to them. Lego’s, books & matchbox cars littered the couch. They could have all the flat seven up they could drink but they really didn’t want any. I longed to have them tearing around leaving a wake of toys in their path. Just when I thought it would never end they’d get better.
I don’t think I’ll be making any morning toast for a few days; I’ll take that time to pray for your speedy recovery instead. Love Mary

Bobbie said...

Sounds like the same bug we have going around our house! Karsten brought it home from being in the nursery at church, was sick for about a week and all was well. A week after he got it I got it and it's been two weeks and I still have the remnants of it. Hopefully you all get well soon and your house gets back to the non-boogery kind!

Mark, Allison, Eliya, Gabriel, Rachel & Micaiah said...

Okay, I didn't read your story past the first paragraph - you know me and snot - um gag!!! But I'm assuming you guys are sick so I hope you feel better! P.S. Did you lose your phone? I keep trying to call and it goes straight to voice mail. What if I was pregnant?! (no I'm not - ha!) Don't worry I'd page you if that was the case - love and miss you guys!