Sunday, April 1, 2007

It's raining ice!

The lawn. Very slippery!!!

The side of the house

Our neighbor's birdhouse with its new crop of icicles

Ice on the barbury bush. No pointy thorns anymore!

Yesterday morning, I realized I'd left our taxes in the car. I opened the front door wearing pajamas and slippers and went to retrieve the dreaded documents. Before I knew what was happening, I was laying practicaly spread-eagle on the front steps. Ice! I reached up to grab the railing to go down the stairs and slipped again...IT was also covered with a new layer of the slippery stuff, which led to my slithering down the front steps like a snake. I knew enough to avoid the glare iced sidewalk, but I had no idea that the GRASS would also prove to be a harrowingly slippery experience. Eventually, I made it to the car...but not without bruises. I think my getting out to the car would have made for a very entertaining silent movie.

Everything outside icoated in ice! When the wind blows, you hear this eerie crakling sound and tiny bits of ice fall out of the sky. It's like transient hail storm, except the ice isn't in nice round balls...it's in little splinters.

One of the first things I ever remember learning in school was in Mrs. Figgie's preschool class. "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb." So, the weather is crazy at the beginning of March and supposedly calm at the end. I guess that only works when you don't live in Duluth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Beautiful! I figured it was about time for the annual icestorm. :) I hope you're not too sore and bruised and that you made it back down to the Cities all right.

Megan