Thursday, July 5, 2007

24-hour vacation

The Fourth of July is my favorite holiday of the year. There's family, lakes, fun, and no big responsibility for anybody. No huge dinners to prepare, no gifts to wrap, no snow to be shoveled...I was supposed to be on call on the Fourth, but Danielle and I traded....and now I have Easter Sunday. Our little clan took a 24-hour vacation to Grand Rapids because I now had the day off.

Our camera's batteries kicked the bucket when I attempted to take the first pictures of Julia yesterday morning. This was much to my dismay, since we were staying a night at a little cabin on Sugar Lake in Grand Rapids. We had our usual big family reunion of sorts over the Fourth. Most of my side of the family has a cabin or home in the Grand Rapids area, so we all congregate up there over the fourth and move from cabin to cabin, swimming, fishing, boating, eating, and socializing. We had a great time, and there were plenty of opportunities to take some fun pictures of Julia....but we decided that going into town on such a gorgeous day to buy batteries would be ludicrous. Instead, we enjoyed the perfect weather and the company of family. Julia was a good baby, even as we took the pontoon out over lake Pokegama to watch the fireworks at 10:00 at night. She kept pointing at them and exclaiming, "Hot. Hot. Hot."

No comments: