Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This morning's project

I find that when I have coffee right away in the morning, I make big plans. One cup, and ziiiing! I've written myself a to-do list with about twelve projects on it. Feels pretty good, actually, like I can do anything I set my mind to. Unfortunately, few of these ideas come to fruition. Perhaps this is because my list generally contains such items as "Organize all books on all the bookshelves" or "Unpack 15 boxes." These sort of things would probably be difficult for a person on speed with no children to distract them to accomplish, let alone an inexperienced stay-at-home dad with three high-maintenance ratlings.

As I made this morning's list, one project revealed itself as a perfect fit for my day. It has cooled off considerably here, so the outdoors was breezy and pleasant. I had two little girls and a dog who needed some fresh air, and the sun was shining. What better thing to tackle than a little gardening?

Our brand-new enormous backyard has a number of beds in it. They are mostly dedicated to shady-type plants and groundcover. There is one little plot, however, in the middle of the yard, in full sun, that would make an excellent garden. Our landlord has given us permission to landscape as we see fit, so we have decided to transplant the perennials out of that area and plant a little herb garden and some tomatoes. I decided I was going to get some of the daylilies that were taking up space out of the way.


Our lovely herb garden, surrounded by perennials and random groundcover plants.


One of the other plants in the plot. This stuff is everywhere!

Below, my lovely helpers, Mary and Julia. (Jules is excited...can you tell?)




Daylilies extracted. Initializing transplantation sequence.



The ratlings got bored and decided a victory dance was in order.


Miss Mary, showing some tummy and probably whining, by the look on her face.



DUNNNN!!!!!

The girls got distracted by some books, so I was left to finish by myself.




And here's the tree that Grandpa and Grandma planted while they were here. It's some kind of pine tree - I can't tell them apart very well, so I don't know what kind. Grandma Beth is probably groaning as she reads this.


Mary, who knows something that you don't know!


Sarah's new hydrangea. ("I can't believe we're living in a Zone 5!!")


And a pretty trumpet-vine that was living here when we moved in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for letting us peek into your backyard. It's a nice one! Don't forget to let us see Deafie as he goes bald. :)