Friday, February 23, 2007

Another great day.




Hi everybody!


Our new camera is here! Mike doesn't know how to use it yet...so it will take until tomorrow to get the pictures posted. Maybe I should look at it. I am so exhausted from this surgery rotation that I have about 20 minutes of being at home before I'm ready to hit the sack. Guess the camera will have to wait until I'm a little more awake to know what's going on. We did figure out how to take pictures with the thing...just don't have the ability to make the computer and digital camera talk to each other.


Today in surgery, we had a 61 year old lady with a bowel obstruction. We took her to the OR and it turned out to be a huge colon cancer. There were metastases all over the mesentary (bowel stuff) and it had spread to her liver. Bad news!!! Message for today: find someone you love who's over 50 and tell them to get a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy a few years back would have saved this poor lady's life.


Surgery is fun. It's exhausting...long days, long cases, lots of patients...but it's really neat. My favorite part about it is how you can take a patient that has a problem, cut them open, and just fix it! It's simple, really (not the surgery itself, but the concept of it.) I would totally be a surgeon except for the fact that I'd never have any time outside of the hosptial for my dear family. Sometimes in life you just gotta make those kinds of choices. I will compromise with myself and learn how to do operative Obstetrics like C-sections and the like while I"m in residency.


Mike and I and Julia went with some friends to Mexico Lindo, a little family run mexican joint in Cloquet, for supper tonight. Yum! They have cheap food and crappy service, but it was a blast! I ordered "the special," which consisted of a variety of things I couldn't pronounce. It turned out to be tasty. I still have no idea what I ate. Mexican food is pretty predictable...it's all a mix of tortillas, rice, beans, meat, and cheese. YOu can throw in a little variety with some tomatoes and shredded lettuce on top. The only variation is what they do to the tortilla.


Today's pictures will be on today's topics. A colon and a margarita. Both are essentials.

No comments: