Saturday, February 17, 2007

We're home for a weekend!




Wow. I forget how quickly February passes by...we're already halfway through! Mike and I are reveling in the fact that we are actually home (in Duluth) for an entire weekend. Neither one of us needs to be anywhere until MOnday morning (except for church.) Yahoo! After a grueling, but fascinating week of surgery with hours from 5:30 AM until after suppertime, I am excited to be "sleeping in" until 7:30. Maybe I should go back to bed just because I can...




Julia's burns are healing up nicely. In the picture above, you can see the harness we made for her using my nylons. Its purpose was to keep that little piece of gauze under her chin while she slept. It worked! The spot is healing. We have been putting lotion on all her burns and all you can see now is the pigmentary changes left behind. These should also clear up, but will take months. After all she's been through, a few pink spots on her face and chest sound pretty A-OK to me!




Our latest issue: the shift-interlock on the Chrysler is broken. For all of you non-car-minded folk out there, that means that when we put her into park, she doesn't know it and she won't let you take the key out. It sounds benign if you're OK with having the key in the ignition forever, but there are a few little lights on the dashboard that are also staying on ("check engine" and "cruise" to name a few.) Anyways, I decided that the little indicator light was enough to drain the battery up and disconnected the battery the last time this happened. Mike laughed at me for being so anal. There was no way a silly little check engine light was enough to drain the huge battery we put in that car last year.




So, the next time it got stuck, I left her parked in front of our house with the little lights on the dashboard happily burning. Mike wanted to go somewhere a day later, and oh! the car wouldn't start because the battery was dead.




We are going to try and jump the battery today. My husband will get a refresher course on how to hook up jumper cables while I sit in the warm car and wait.




No comments: