Thursday, May 29, 2008

Al Dente



When Mike and I have noodles, I make him taste them to ensure that they are boiled just to his liking. I grew up eating spaghetti that was cooked for 15 or 20 minutes or so, then thrown into some warm water to sit until we could round up the family to eat. The noodles were soft and a little gelatinous....and that's the way it was. Mike, on the other hand, has taught me the virtues of cooking a pot of noodles until they're done just right. Thirty seconds too few or two many in the boiling water...and you are either on the gelatinous side or your noodles still have the suspicious "crunchy" interior. (I am going somewhere with this....believe me....)

With regards to the latest Sprengeler Creation, I can assure all of you that that this baby is not going to be born with the slightest crunchy interior. Yes, we are still pregnant.....still boiling, still baking, still wearing TED socks, still getting sympathetic looks from the nurses,....despite all of my efforts to the contrary. My ever-amusing pediatric attending physician, Dr. Mason, speculates that I will simply dilate two centimeters each week, and combined with the continued increase in our baby's OFC (head circumference), that would put me at the twelve centimeters of dilation needed to push this baby out by the 4th of July or so....

At any rate, an interesting phenomenon has occurred: I checked the Baby Pool this morning, and nobody picked May 29th as our due date. What if today's the day? Now who are we supposed to name our child after!?!?!? So much for that brilliant idea....if we have the little one in the next 19 hours (pregnancy induced insomnia...yes I am blogging at 5AM), we'll be back at square one!

Now we need to ask God for two miracles:
1. Baby names falling from the sky at the right moment...
2. Baby Al Dente on May 29th, 2008.

You'll be hearing from us. Have a good Thursday.

3 comments:

Claudia said...

I hate to scare ya, but here's some more food for thought. Both my kids were REALLY gelatenous...
Steven: due May 23, born June 6
Natalie: due April 17, born April 24

MN Wehrspanns said...

Noah is the same way with noodles...I let him do that from now on, at least with the spaghetti noodles. And I must admit, they are much more appealing than a pile of slimy mush. :)

As far as baby goes...names are tough..no doubt. If a name falls from the sky, let us know and we can pray for the same thing when our baby is due! I hope baby arrives soon for you!

Dave, Miriam, Josiah, Aria, and Thaddeus said...

I just read the news on the Moldenhauer blog. Congratulations!!! :)